Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New shoes (take 2!)

When I started training for the half marathon (or rather, when I started running more than 25 feet) I bought new shoes. I went to the local running store, showed them my old worn shoes and got fitted for new shoes. I've worn the same shoes for years now (Asics 2150s) and the running store employee told me they were the best shoes for me, except I needed to buy the wide version. Granted, the same running store employee also asked me if I had given birth to a child recently, so maybe I shouldn't have listened to him.

They didn't have the shoes in stock, so I bought them offline, for a hefty discount (!!) and they were delivered straight to my desk at work in two days. I should have known I was in trouble when after my first run I started getting blisters, but I told myself I was just breaking the shoes in. FAIL. Blisters are a signal that your shoes don't fit! Argh. I should never have listened to that employee!

So last night, I go to the Asics store in my building, and they spend a half an hour determining which shoes are the best fit for me. Amazing. And they'll take them back if they cause me any trouble within the next two weeks. Granted, now I'm out 130 bucks that I never intended to spend, but hopefully I can kiss my blisters goodbye.

Next up, trying to convince shoes.com to take back my blister causing too big pair of shoes. I don't have high hopes for that one!

Moral of the story? If an employee of any store ever asks you if you have recently had a child and you are not in fact holding your newborn, run in the other direction out of the store, because not only do they lack in common sense, but they probably won't have the best advice on what you should buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment